The Kinross exploration office is located in Sodankylä, approximately 130km north of Rovaniemi. Kinross has been exploring along the Central Lapland Greenstone Belt since 2018, mainly through joint ventures on early-stage projects around the Kittilä mine, Europe’s largest gold mine. Kinross strongly believes that the remaining orogenic gold potential of the belt is significant and sees Lapland as an emerging region for gold exploration
Reporting to the Exploration Manager, the Project Geologist will assist the Manager with the field implementation and execution of the exploration program of the company. The Project Geologist will be responsible for carrying out a variety of geological and operational assignments at the Company’s exploration projects.
- Assist the Exploration Manager with the supervision and coordination of the exploration activities.
- Logging and sampling of exploration drill core.
- Ensure all relevant QAQC protocols and mineral exploration best practices are being effectively followed during the completion of project tasks.
- Geological interpretation; generation of cross sections, maps and 3D models.
- Monitor the exploration and business development work of competitors to identify and make recommendations on potential project acquisitions.
- Comply with the occupational Health and Safety Act and all other applicable government standards and regulations.
- Comply with laws governing mineral exploration and internal company policies and procedures pertaining to the position.
- Build the capabilities of the team to enhance exploration’s ability to achieve the financial and operating strategy.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Will report to the Manager.
- Bachelor or Master of Science Degree in Geology or related Earth Science program.
- Formal professional or technical designation in mine geology
- 3 – 5 years of related work experience or equivalent
- At least (5) years of experience in mineral exploration including activities like field mapping and core logging
- Previous experience in the mining industry is preferred
- Finnish speaker; able to communicate effectively with stakeholders and relevant authorities (Tukes)
- Strong commitment to safety, environment, and community.
- Strong organization and time management skills; must be able to effectively handle various project-related matters; responsible for meeting expectations and solving problems.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; positive approach to teamwork.
- Able to work on camp setting on a rotational basis.
- Working knowledge of the MS office.
- Knowledge of QGIS, Iogas, 3D modeling softwares, and Mx Deposit is considered an asset.
- First Aid certification would be an asset.
- Valid driving license
Ability and willingness to travel
Require travel to operational site(s)
Kinross is a Canadian-based global senior gold mining company with operations and projects in the United States, Brazil, Mauritania, Chile, Canada, and Ghana. Our focus on delivering value is based on our core principles of responsible mining, operational excellence, disciplined growth and balance sheet strength. Kinross maintains listings on the Toronto Stock Exchange (symbol:K) and the New York Stock Exchange (symbol:KGC).